I'm giving the lesson this Wednesday night at church so like everything else I thought I'd share this on Charlie too!
Lesson Notes 4/26
Serving 3 Ways
I. Thank you
a. Those To Serve
b. Lords Supper
i. 10 on the table + 2 Alts + Talk=13
ii. 2 for PM Lords Supper=15
iii. 3 ushers for each Sunday Service=18
1. 4mth rotation= 72 individual people
c. Prayer & Scripture
i. 3 for each Sunday service= 6
ii. 2 for each Wednesday service= 2
iii. With 4 weeks in the month that’s 32 individuals
1. Other than who is doing Lords Supper
d. 26 Individual helpers each week
II. Preachers Who Are Always Serving
a. Jack, Ben, MJ, MS, MB
b. How do they not treat the pulpit as a confessional
i. Teaching by preaching their faults?
III. What does it mean to serve?
a. The movie Courageous
i. Tragic event leads a father to reexamine his role in his family
1. Joshua “As Joshua prepared the children of Israel for the land of Canaan he made it clear that first priority went to those with whom he had immediate and direct control: he and his "house."
2. Joshua 24:14-15 “Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. 15 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD”
b. What does it mean to serve?
i. Def. 1. a. To work for.b. To be a servant to.
ii. 2.a. To prepare and offer (food, for example): serve tea.b. To place food before (someone); wait on: served the guests a wonderful dinner.
iii. 3.a. To provide goods and services for (customers): a hotel that has served tourists at the same location for 30 years.b. To supply (goods or services) to customers. See Usage Note at service.
iv. 4. To assist the celebrant during (Mass).
v. 5. a. To meet the requirements of; suffice for: This will serve the purpose.b. To be of assistance to or promote the interests of; aid: "Both major parties today seek to serve the national interest" (John F. Kennedy).
vi. 6a. To work through or complete (a period of service): served four terms in Congress.b. To be in prison for (a period or term): served 10 years for armed robbery.
vii. 7. To fight or undergo military service for: served the country for five years in the navy.
viii. 8. To give homage and obedience to: served God.
ix. 9. To act toward (another) in a specified way: She has served me ill.
c. Who are we serving?
i. The iGroup?
1. iPhone, iPod, iPad, iTouch
viii. Money (Too much time at the office)
d. How much more clearly does the Bible have to make it?
1. Joshua 24:14-15 “Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. 15 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD”
e. Who are we serving when we spend all night watching TV? Texting? Playing Words With Friends?
f. What would our lives be like if we spent as much time serving God as we did serving other things?
g. As men we are supposed to be the spiritual leaders of our families. Are we?
i. Are we the ones that are setting the spiritual examples like Joshua or are we being dragged to church by our wives, by our children, by guilt, by fear of what people might say if they don’t see us walk through those doors?
ii. Nobody expects us to be perfect. I fail at this all the time
1. Making Christ your Lord and Savior does not mean you will never sin again, but it does mean you will never be comfortable with it when you do.
h. If you feel you are not serving the Lord the best way you can or if you are not the Christian example you should be for those around you, come as we stand and sing.