Thursday, February 14, 2008

Grasping At Airplanes

Finally the weather is getting to the point where we can take Fred outside for at least a half hour at a time. Mind you he's only borderline asthmatic, but you can't blame us for being a little gun shy after spending 3 days in the hospital 2 weeks ago. Our problem isn't that it's too cold, our problem is that it's 30 degrees today, 65 degrees tomorrow, and then back down to 30 the next. A little consistency would do us wonders.

We live near an airport and it's a common occurrence to look up and see a small passenger plane overhead. One zipped by yesterday as Fred was learning to kick piles of leaves across the yard. Almost out of instinct the moment he saw the plane directly overhead he began jumping and trying to grasp the aircraft in his tiny hands. This reminded me of what it's like to be a little kid and not have any knowledge of distance or size. How everything could be seen through your thumb and forefinger.

"How big is that tree? Not so big. See I can put it here ] If I wanted to I could put it in my pocket or smash it into tiny bits. Good thing I don't want to huh?"

This seems to be the year of change for the Blockhead family. January was a sandstorm that swooped in and rearranged our lives. What once was a clear path to our goals is now somewhat hazy and we both get the feeling we can only see a few weeks into the future.

Lucy's changed jobs and will be going to Real Estate school in the fall. My freelance work jumped off a cliff and died for a week. Leaving me shooting out job submissions for any topic that I was remotely familiar with. Then just as quickly I landed on my feet as Project Mgr. for this year's Best Of Blog Awards. You'll hear me talk more about them soon enough, just know that it's a major accomplishment and compliment.

Now all in all I'd say that nothings off limits as to what we will accomplish in 2008. There are no boundaries. No rules dictating the impossible. Nothing to stop us from jumping up with all our might and taking hold of our dreams as they zip by overhead.

No comments: