Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Whole Sordid Affair

Last weekend I was faced with the fact that I was 4 posts behind over at my paying gigs and I had zip in the way of anything electronic to do my writing. Friday night I realized I had no choice but to find a way to write somewhere over the weekend and hope I could find time at the 8-5 to type it on Word and send it to my blog boss.

So there I am Friday night and most of Saturday, pen and pad in hand going about it the old fashioned way. It was hard, nasty, and my hands hurt by the time I was done, but I got my goal accomplished. Then something funny happened. As you know I got everything back up and running Saturday night and Sunday when it was time to put on my freelance hat (ooh that's a great idea!! I need a freelance hat!! maybe something with fishing lures all over it!!) I was a little hesitant to use the computer.

Now I know this sounds silly but after the week of torture we just went through, thinking we had lost all of Fred's pictures along with everything I had ever written I felt that I had been wronged by my computer. That my best friend in the world had some unforgivable crime (much like a spurned love) and I wasn't ready to let it back in.

Lucy has expressed the same sort of mixed up feelings. There's this object that we love so much and yet now that we have it back we are a little hesitant to get near it. I've even gone as far as leaving the pen and pad next to the monitor as if I'm attempting to remind the computer that I don't have to have it and I can always find somebody else.this has to be the weirdest dysfunctional relationship ever!!

 

 

2 comments:

Julie Young said...

That was pretty funny! Glad that the computer is back up and going. That would have been really bad if you had lost everything.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad. I've got four... no, five... external hard drives now standing around my laptop. Menacingly. As if they're reminding the laptop what happens if it forgets to pay this month's "protection" money to the boss.