Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Back To The Real World

It’s always hard to get back into the swing of things after a vacation. Even if it’s just a three day weekend, there’s just something about having to come back to work that puts a grimace on your face. Things have been especially tough this time around due to a couple of special occasions. A trip to Granny’s and The Blue’s Clues Birthday Bash And Dash.

Fred was spoiled before the week of his birthday, but after 3 parties, 3 cakes, 7 days of presents, 2 Easter egg hunts, and 1 day at the golf course with Daddy….whew I just get tired thinking about it…..he has forgotten the meaning of the word NO. In there somewhere you can add a trip to Granny’s (technically his great-grandmother) featuring his favorite uncle/aunt combo Broccoli and Brookli. It’s no wonder Lucy and I now have to figure out just what to do with this new personality our 2 year-old has decided to adopt.

NO BATH

NO SCHOOL

DO NOT HIT YOUR MOTHER

CLEAN UP YOUR MESSES

NO EAT

NO KITTY

WE DO NOT HIT THE KITTY

OUTSIDE

IT’S TOO COLD TO GO OUTSIDE

HOLD ME

I CAN’T HOLD YOU ALL THE TIME

QUIT DUMPING YOUR TOYS IN THE FLOOR

BUBBLES

WE HAVE TO PAY FOR THE BUBBLES BEFORE YOU CAN OPEN THEM

BUUUUBBBBBLLLLLEEESSSSSS

WE’VE BEEN OUTSIDE BLOWING BUBBLES FOR TWO HOURS

NNNNNNOOOOOOO

THROWING YOURSELF ON THE FLOOR IS NOT GOING TO GET YOU ANYTHING MISTER

DO YOU WANT TIME OUT?

Other than the occasional swat to the hand we have been pretty luck in the bad behavior department….I think our luck ran out last week and to be honest who could blame him. If I had all that done for me on my birthday (the parties, the constant stream of presents, all that cake, trips to the park) I’d probably drop to the ground and demand it to continue as well.

At 32 I still come home grumpy after leaving Granny’s. My grandparents live in a world where nobody screams, nobody worries (not out loud anyway), there’s very little in the way of work, and everything is in God’s hands. Now in my old age I’m sure of two things 1) It’s only this way because they put life on hold just to get everything out of the little amount of time they have with us and 2) it’s never really as green on the other side as it seems.

Still though after every trip I come back proclaiming this will be done (I was going to take drama my Senior year in high school) and this habit will stop (no more biting my nails!!). Then reality sets in and I too am left kicking and screaming cause I can’t spend all day/everyday with my family. Bills have to be paid, grass needs to be cut, and rules on how we are to behave need to be re-established. That’s what makes the special moments in life so enjoyable….if they happened everyday we’d never learn to cherish them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait until he turns three. Two seems bad, but at three something seems to kick on and it's... not... pretty!

Glad you had fun during all the parties and holiday visits, though!