Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A Long Strange Trip

Lucy was never supposed to have fallen. I’m the clumsy one. One time I twisted my ankle because I was staring up into a pecan tree for too long. I was just standing there and the next thing I know I was on the ground. To this day I can’t walk down the hall and not bump into one of the walls. I even dropped Fred last week. Luckily I was standing over the bed at the time and he only dropped 2 feet onto a pillow.

If I were to have some type of accident that required me to be in a full body cast, Lucy wouldn’t miss a beat. She’s amazing. You should see her handle baby Fred. I think I know her secret though…it happened really fast and I only caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye, but I know what I saw. She was sitting on the couch trying to calm a very upset baby Fred, both cats were attempting to get in her lap, I was busy burning dinner, and then the phone rang. Out of no where a third arm shot out from her back, shoved the cats off, grabbed a dropped passey in mid air, and got the phone by the second ring. She can’t fool me. I know the secret to her powers.

My point is if something happened to me, the daily routine wouldn’t suffer much.
That’s why I almost passed out when she called last week to tell me she had fallen and hurt herself. She had just dropped Fred off at daycare and tripped on her way back to the car. Oh and there was a loud CRACK from somewhere just under her pinky toe.

We are a team. When the quarterback goes down, it’s time to call in the second string.
So until momma’s broken foot is healed and the big blue boot comes off, I’m the man. It’s been a week and I have come to a couple of conclusions.

First of all, I will never be a single parent. Sure I’m doing ok for now but Lucy is still there to give me pointers. Plus her foot is healing and there is some type of a timetable involved. It may be 3 weeks or two months from now, but she will be better eventually. The day will come again when I will be able to hand him off to his mom and read a book or enjoy a moment to myself. Single parents have nobody to pass the buck to. They just have to suck it up and deal with the tantrums as they come. I’m all about the tag team.

Second, I love my son more with every second. He is growing so much and you can see his mind thirsting for new things. We have been skiing and deep sea diving and out riding horses on the range. Anything that allows him to swing his arms and legs is right up his alley. We just sit there for hours and pretend to run from the Abominable Snowman or a giant octopus. So what he cries a little around bedtime, it’s just all part of it. I’m exhausted and Lucy helps as much as she can, but a side effect is that Fred and I have become closer than ever. Which is something I have been waiting on since he was born.

I believe that it’s not up to me to figure out why something happens. The best I can do is make the most of whatever situation I find myself in. I would be sugar coating it if I said that things were better than ever around the Blockhead house lately. The truth is… raising your first child is hard enough with two people and very complicated with one and a half.

So you may be wondering about my disappearance last week and to summarize here is what happened: Lucy fell, I stood up, Fred grew, and I was blown away by how much I love my family and depend on my wife.

See you soon,Charlie Blockhead

No comments: