Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Chief Red Face and the God of Thunder


During his 2½ months on this planet, Fred has never been much of a crier. A few weeks ago we took him in for his first set of shots and at the exact moment the needle pierced his skin Chief Red Face was born. As we all know, practically every experience is a new one for a baby and with each new adventure comes a new lesson. The needle taught Fred if he really gave it his all, he could scream louder than he ever imagined possible.

This alter ego is a tough one to swallow. Somehow he is able to turn our sweet, giggly, curly haired baby into…well…into something else…something much more powerful than Lucy, Charlie, and all the weapons at our disposal.

With slick black hair, a wide mouth filed with rage, and left hook just itching to dot an I or cross a T, Chief Red Face is a force that commands your full attention. Up until last night we thought that his biggest weapon was sleep deprivation. Now I must say this is a very effective tool to use against the forces of Mommy and Daddy, but little did we know the full power of the red faced one!!!

We have been under a small drought here in North Alabama and this weekend was a scorcher. Not a cloud in the sky, not a shade to rest under, the 97-degree heat has been brutal. I can almost hear the dead grass cracking under my feet as I write this. Before Sunday night, rain was only a distant memory left to be talked about between old men as they slow spooned their biscuits and gravy down at the local Hardee’s.

Sunday night that all changed when Chief Red Face paid us a visit.

The warning signs weren’t there this time. Though now that I look back, Fred had slept almost all night for the last few days…I should have seen it coming…for that I am to blame. He began crying at 9:00 p.m. nothing unusual about that, but by 10:00 the crying had not stopped. We went directly to the armory. The swing missed by inches, the bouncy seat only made the crying worse, Patches the puppy was tossed about like the stuffed animal he is thankful to be. Finally by 11:00 the crying had stopped….but it was just the calm before the storm.

The attack came at 1:00 a.m.!!! The cry in the dark grew as I quickly switched from passey to bottle back to passey. Momma jumped in with the quick bounce but Chief Red Face was now upon us….that’s when we heard it!! BOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM.!!!! BOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!
WAS THAT WHAT I THINK IT WAS!!!” I screamed.
I HAVE NO... I THINK WE … A MAJOR PROBLEM ON OUR HANDS” said Lucy as she quivered in the bed unable to make complete sentences!!

Then as if he had command of the very forces of nature…
CRACK, BOOOOOMMMM, FLLLLAASSSSHHHHH
Lightning shot from the sky and the thunder shook the foundations of the house.

What happened after that? I confess. I blacked out from fear only to find baby Fred peacefully asleep the next morning. My only memory is that of Lucy running from the room clutching the baby to her chest screaming “Jesus love me this I know!!”

No comments: