Tuesday, June 27, 2006

3 Days, 9 Rooms, and 15 People.

My favorite time of the year is finally here. Sure the 4th of July is all about independence and fireworks and all that…but for the Blockhead family it’s the only time of year where we all gather in one place!!! Over the river and through the woods to Grandma and Grandpa Blockhead’s house we go.

Usually this means we all get hotel rooms near their house so we can get a least a good nights sleep (and give the grandparents some time to watch the weather channel and rethink their life choices) as we prepare for the next days events…but not this year. Apparently there has been a snow ball effect taking place and with each new day more people have decided to just show up and crash on the floor. As of 6/27/06 the total is up to 15 people with still 2 full families not committing to the gathering.

Lucy and I will be the first one’s there so we get one of the 2 guest rooms, plus we get VIP status for bringing the new baby. We get a bed, TV, and a rocking chair. Next up will be my dad and half-brother and sister (they got the last hotel room). Followed by my cousin and her 6 month old daughter (also with VIP status and guaranteed a room, you gotta take advantage of the babies while you can.) Next comes my aunt with the trusty air mattress and finally my other aunt with her husband and 2 kids.

My grandparents are getting up in their 70’s and I will admit I don’t know if they can still keep control over a zoo full of people…but like it or not a when they answer the doorbell on Friday morning, a stampede of wild Blockheads is gonna destroy their peaceful house.

Oh and don’t forget the 4th means fireworks and that’s another name for explosives. I heard that the day after we left last year the neighbors began looking for a more calming place to spend the holiday this year. I think they finally settled on the path of the nearest hurricane.

So as you sit back and chomp a rib, maybe float along aimlessly in your swimming pool…please say a prayer for Granny and Grandpa Blockhead, cause this year the animals in the zoo don’t have their own cages to go back too and the monkeys are getting restless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure they'll LOVE having everyone there, especially the grandbabies.

But believe me, as soon as the last person gets shoved out the door, they are going on vacation.

Enjoy the holiday and may the force be with them, not you.