Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Scariest Part of My Day.

I'm in my bed. My nice cool, cozy, soft, springy bed.
The place where I feel the safest in all the world.
Got my favorite blanket. Pillows in the right place. Lucy by my side.
The gentle tick tick tick tick of the ceiling fan as the chain taps the light.
My deep sleep inducing bed.

It starts softly at first. Like the soundtrack from JAWS except with a grunt.
nngh....nnngh.....nnngh.

"What was that? Did y....did you hear that?!?!?" I whisper to Lucy in the dark.
"No go back to sleep" she pleads.
So I do for what feels like a half a second, but may be 10's of minutes.

nngh...nngh...Nngh
"What!!! I know heard it that time. I think I gotta look!!!"
"It's ok. I don't even hear it. It must have stopped." poor poor Lucy
This time I'm not so convinced.

Nngh Nngh NNGH!
I raise up slowly to avoid the bed making any creaking sounds.
Must be quite.
Make no noise.
It's right next to me.
The edge.
The thing that invades my dreams and haunts my every thought.

I sneak up to it.
NNgh...NNgh..NNgh.

With all the nerve I can muster at that time of night...I slowly peer over the edge of the bassinet.
NNGH!! NNGH!! WAAAAYY! WAAAAYY!!
IT"S AWAKE!!! IT'S ONLY BEEN 2 HOURS AND HE'S BACK FOR MORE!!!!
QUICK FEED HIM!!! CHANGE HIM!!! GIVE HIM WHAT HE DEMANDS!!! DO IT NOW!!!!!
MUST KEEP HIM HAPPY!!! PLEASE BABY FRED LET ME SLEEP!!!!!

No comments: