Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I am so LOST!!!

I have an addiction and it's time I confessed. I am obsessed with the television show LOST.

In case you’re not familiar with it, the following is a brief summary:

A plane crashes on an island somewhere in the pacific. The plane was going from Australia to the U.S. The survivors form a tribe of 47. Monsters show up, mysterious people that look like everyone else show up, people are kidnapped, a hatch and a hidden bunker are found, big mystery about a science experiment gone wrong, polar bears attack people, black horses start running around, every episode centers around a flashback of what happened to one of the passengers before the crash, all survivors are connected to each other but don't know it, these numbers keep popping up and causing everyone trouble, millions of questions, zero answers, and to make it that much more awesome each episode builds to a edge of your seat, bite your thumb off, jaw dropping cliffhanger. Just when you can't take it anymore the word LOST hits the screen with a loud thud signaling the end of the episode...I AM ADDICTED.

I've been addicted to shows before. The X files, Buffy, Angel, but never this bad.

Something happened last week that made me loose touch with reality for just a second.

It was right at the end. The edge of our your seat part. One of the bad guys had been captured and was describing this machine that we are all dying to know about. He's nasty looking, all beat up from being tortured, and he starts whispering the info we have all been dying to hear. I am on the edge, Lucy is leaning way over. I promise if a tornado had come and blown through our neighbor the tention in that room alone would have supported the entire house.

The bad guy is describe seeing this machine that is a huge piece of the puzzle. He says, " It was making a humming noise. It was getting louder and louder. I took a step towards it and BLAM!!!!"

A white light shoots out and covers the whole TV screen. At that exact moment this popping noise echoes through the room. Nothing but blank screen follows. I immediately jump up and proclaim that was the best episode of anything I had ever seen in my life. I had just witnessed the single most amazing piece of entertainment ever known to mankind!!!

I turned to see Lucy's reaction, sure that she is just as amazed as I am...but what I find is a curled up nose and a look of disgust. You see, when things explode and catch on fire they produce a smell. As I gazed at Lucy, still drunk on great TV... I inhale the fumes from the fire...coming from my 8 year old 27inch TV...

Now a normal person would freak out, get a little upset, and start thinking about the money that just burned up in front of us.

But I'm a blockhead.

I turn, see Lucy snarling at the horrific smell of burnt rubber or whatever TV's are made of and instantly something clicks!!! If what I saw wasn't the end of the episode...than it's still on!!!! Immediately I bolt to the other room to catch the last 2 minutes. Completely engulfed in my addition.

This sends Lucy into complete shock. Instead of making sure the fire was out, unplugging the TV, doing something about the smell, or getting the slightest bit upset that in a blink of an eye we just lost $300. I chose to watch the last few seconds of a television show as my first priority. Yes I admit it wasn't the correct reaction...but man what a great episode.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mr. Blockhead, I would have done the exact same thing. This is one show that I wish I watched from the beginning because I can't start watching it now. I might have to buy the DVD's.

I'm glad you can get some kind of entertainment considering the new baby in the house.