Wednesday, December 19, 2007

2-Feet Tall And Bullet Proof

Yes I'm still here. I know it's been awhile and I'm going to do us both a favor and skip the usual excuses. Just going to jump write in.get it write..right.never mind here we go.

This past weekend we made the 4-hour jump down south to see my grandparents. As some of you may know they are getting older and my grandfather isn't walking as well as he has in the past. What made this trip different is that normally when we go, 1,000 other various relatives drag their screaming kids along and we all take turns stomping on my grandfathers last nerve. This time it was just Fred, Lucy, and I. Understandably growing old isn't easy especially if you're used to being 10 feet tall and bullet proof which is the way I always think of my grandfather. Except that now he's having these leg issues and he's not always in the best of moods. What do you do though. He's my pawpaw. My job is to let it roll off my back and enjoy the fact that he's even still around. This past weekend I caught a glimpse of the man he is in my mind and heart.

It took Fred a few hours to warm up to him. Maybe it was that Fred is really into swords, baseball bats and such. My grandfathers cane is shaped like the perfect lightsaber. Soon they began a game of tug of war that lasted all weekend. Fred trying with everything he could muster to yank that walking stick from those giant hands. Maybe it was the simple invitation grandpa made to Fred, asking him if we would like to sit in his lap and color.

They say that impersonation is the best for of flattery and by the end of the weekend Fred soon began walking like the man towering above him. As my grandpa moved through the house bracing himself against this wall or that chair, right behind him some 6 feet closer to the ground Fred made sure to touch the same spots.

Together they strolled through the church building. Grandpa using a walker to move about and Fred riding on the seat using it as a chariot introducing himself to the masses. By the time we left Fred knew that blowing kisses and waving goodbye just wasn't going to be enough.what grandpa deserved was a firm handshake. As those giant hands collapsed upon Fred's tiny fingers it was all I could do to get in the car and travel home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh..son...I remember you doing the same thing! The hand shake...the standing at the front of the church..or at the doors right by his side... you two feet ...him ten...I am glad you had such a good weekend together!

Julie Young said...

Thanks for sharing that story. That was very touching. Glad you guys had fun and thanks for the x-mas card!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back...I thought you might be on the writer's strike! :) Cherish those moments with grandparents...you're lucky yours are still here to see your children. I wish I could have seen mine interact with Abby.